Translate

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer

Music Appreciation

I remember watching the music video to Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer when I was about ten years old.

At that age, the music video was captivating with its stop motion animation of trains, paper airplanes, bumper cars, and dancing oven-ready chickens. For its time, the music video was not only innovative but cool and fun.

But what's the song's meaning?

I've tried to look it up and get an idea of its meaning. Many commenters on Songmeanings.net think its a song with many sexual innuendos. A few think Peter Gabriel was singing about the music industry--nothing new to musical artists (see my previous posts on other artists HERE and HERE).

Songfacts.com quotes Peter Gabriel regarding the song, "Sometimes sex can break through barriers when other forms of communications are not working too well."

So, while my parents sheltered me from Rate R movies, I was filling my head with sexual innuendos and lyrics of phallic symbols. This explains a lot, now.





Sources: http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/13038/; http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=773; Wikipedia




No comments:

Post a Comment