Translate

Thursday, January 21, 2016

The Integrity of Journalism and Blogging


PARDON THE INTERRUPTION 

There is a huge difference between journalism and blogging.

As defined by the AP, journalism is the activity of gathering (researching), assessing (investigating/evaluating), creating (writing), and presenting news and information. I'd add further that before a piece is printed, there is a form of review by editors.

Blogging, as defined by Webster, is a web site on which someone writes about personal opinions, activities, and experiences.

Unfortunately, we live in a society where many obtain news from unsubstantiated sources, such as social media and blogs. Many of these blogs have questioned the integrity of journalism--a source of substantiated information (see definition above).

What's worse is when news organizations take blogs (a source of personal opinion) as credible information and report it as "factual."

When blogging, I try to practice my journalistic education, but at the same time offer my opinion and perspective. The main purpose of many of my entries are more to share what I learn and what I experience. However, in no way do I feel that readers should take my entries, although many well researched, as factual.

No comments:

Post a Comment