Translate

Friday, July 3, 2015

The Doors - Light My Fire


Music Appreciation

If you're my age, then you probably remember watching Val Kilmer depict Jim Morrison in the 1991 film The Doors and performing Light My Fire on the Ed Sullivan Show (you can watch it HERE.) Although the depiction is a little over dramatized, perhaps to show more emotion to the event, it does provide a sense of what occurred behind the scenes of the Ed Sullivan Show.

Before performing Light My Fire, which was written by Robby Krieger, live on The Ed Sullivan Show, the band was asked to change the line "girl, we couldn't get much higher" to "girl, we couldn't get much better," because of fear that the original lyrics referenced drug use. Jim Morrison, however, sang the original lyric, which you can watch the original HERE. You can also see the story behind creating the song HERE.

Light My Fire spent three weeks at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 charts in late July 1967.





No comments:

Post a Comment