Translate

Sunday, January 7, 2018

Having THAT Talk with my Parents about "Cock-Blocking"


I received a text message from my mom Friday afternoon that they were on their way to Austin and asked that I make reservations at Gloria's Latin Cuisine restaurant for 8:00 PM.

The problem was that I had a scheduled date with a young lady for Friday evening. I was planning on making dinner (my famous Chicken Piccatta) and watching season two of The Girlfriend Experience, which she introduced season one to me the previous weekend. Unfortunately, I had to cancel our date night.

Granted, my parents were concerned about how I was doing--I recently ended a year long relationship and currently dealing with a transition at my job. So, they wanted to check up on me and make sure I was doing okay. [Unbeknownst to them, I was doing quite well.]

I did have a talk with them about the challenges single parents with custody schedules deal with when dating. Perplexed, I further explained that when I have my son, I really can't go out. Similar, the other person can't date when they have their kids. What makes it challenging is that custody schedules may not match. And so when there is a date scheduled, we single parents jump on that opportunity.

I asked them that next time they give me a couple of days, at minimum, advanced noticed of a visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment