Translate

Sunday, November 19, 2017

Wizard World Austin 2017


I have to say, this year's Wizard World Austin Comic Con outdid itself. I absolutely enjoyed the exhibitors, the panels, and the cosplayers.

My day started later than what I planned--thanks to CapMetro Rail and Chuy's Children's Parade. Nonetheless, I got to the Convention Center and started my day by watching trailers of upcoming movies.

SuperKayceCosplay and RealBreakingNate presented a series of movie trailers and provided their insights on each. There seemed to be anticipation for the new Star Wars movie from the audience. Personally, I'm looking forward to not only The Last Jedi but also the arcade-based-movie Rampage.

I sat in on a brief history discussion on Dr. Who before attending the very entertaining Michael Rooker. If you don't know who Rooker is, go HERE, HERE, HERE and HERE.

As many of you know, I'm a big Star Trek fan. I've met Armin Shimerman, Robin Curtis, the late James Doohan, Sir Patrick Stewart, and the great William Shatner. This year, I got to meet Ms. Nichelle Nichols and got her to sign a trading card I had been holding on to since 1991.

After coming down from a high, I sat in on a discussion panel with Kevin Conroy and Loren Lester discussing 25 years of Batman: The Animated Series.

I then snuck out of Batman and Robin to watch Felicia Day in a Q&A. The cool thing I learned about Felicia Day is that her formative years were spent in Austin. If you don't know who she is or what she has contributed in the geek-realm, check out HERE, HERE, and HERE.

I then sat in on a Firefly cast reunion with Summer Glau, Sean Maher, and Jewel Staite. Sean Maher was quite entertaining to watch as he interacted with Jewel and Summer. What I got out of the panel is that Summer was blamed for things that went wrong in the show, even when she was not around. Also, Nathan Fillion is a huge Firefly fan, who has show memorabilia around his home.

My day ended watching the extremely talented cosplayers compete in the Wizard World Costume Contest.

Some of the exhibitors I visited included: Kristina Cantu, Brent WoodsideDavid Soto Jr., JeriLyn Alderman from Firechilde Glass Studio, Cassie Small with Randon Smash Customs, Ryan Glitch with Sci-Fi Speed Dating (I shied away from participating), the guys from Hops and Heroes, and the gals from Shivs and Giggles.













No comments:

Post a Comment