Translate

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Pablo Picasso - La Nana

Art Appreciation

La Nana (1901) - Pablo Picasso

My grandma, Nana, travelled with us practically everywhere we went.  Since I was the only child, my dad would invite my Nana to join us on trips into Mexico and to other places such as Las Vegas, and Disney World.  So it was not a big surprise when my parents invited Nana to join us for our European vacation. 

Looking back, I should have appreciated the idea of taking my grandma to Spain, France, Italy, Switzerland, and German.  A few years later she would pass away after a bout with cancer.

However, this blog entry is not about cancer--perhaps I should write something about the subject soon.  It's about my Nana in the Pablo Picasso museum in Barcelona and running into her namesake painting--La Nana.

Naturally, being raced by an opinionated and outspoken father, I had to say what I saw when La Nana was before me.  "Mire, se parece a Nana (Look, it looks like Nana)."  I couldn't stop cracking up.  Nana didn't appreciate my disrespect; although, she never did stay angry at me.

La Nana was painted during Picasso's early expressionism years. 

Sources: Wikipedia; http://pablo-picasso.paintings.name/biography/


No comments:

Post a Comment