Translate

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Sugar Hill Gang - Rapper's Delight

Music Appreciation (A Retrospect)

It was August 1979 when the Sugar Hill Gang introduced hip hop to the disco scene with "Rapper's Delight," sampling Chic's Good Times as its instrumental background sound.

What was I doing when this video came out?  I was about three years old.  I actually don't remember watching this music video until I was already in middle school.  By that time I was into other hip hop with rappers such as DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince , RUN DMC, and Kid N' Play.



Back then, I didn't understand or care when or where hip hop or rap originated. All I cared was whether others thought it was cool to listen to.  And at my school, it was pretty cool to listen to hip hop.

It was probably not until Rosie (Ellen Albertini Dow) sang it in The Wedding Singer, when I really paid attention and wondered where and when hip hop originated. 



So who started it all?  DJ Kool Herc and Afrika Bambaataa are credited by most as being the pioneers of hip hop music.  Their new style of music incorporated several songs to make a new sound, rhythm and song.  Needlesstosay, their influence continues to have a role in pop culture for years to come.

Source: Wikipedia


No comments:

Post a Comment