Translate

Thursday, May 16, 2013

The Cult - She Sells Sanctuary

Music Appreciation

Twenty eight years ago, English hard rock band, The Cult, released "She Sells Sanctuary," a song about "finding solitude in a woman's arms."

Many of us, who have heard the song, probably associate it with something memorable. Take my coworker, for example. He remembers listening to "She Sells Sanctuary" driving through the desert from El Paso to Austin, Texas.

I remember appreciating the song from a mix tape a college student from my dad's class had left at the house. I didn't dare but listen to it with my Sony Walkman; growing up in a conservative house, I thought I was going to hell.

I do remember watching the music video late at night on MTV, and thinking, "that girl is pretty." It probably took me another ten years to figure out the girl was actually Ian Astbury, the lead singer of The Cult.

Watching the music video now, I'm able to appreciate it more and even catch things I didn't notice before. For example, is Ian Astbury dressed as English political icon Guy Fawkes?







No comments:

Post a Comment