Translate

Friday, July 29, 2016

Brushing up on Spanish with Dora the Explorer to Understand Democrats


Regarding Senator Tim Kaine's VP nominee speech, Scottie Nell Hughes made some interesting observations and comments. She argued that Trump spoke in a language that everyone understands, which is English. 

"...You know, I appreciate him having multicultural and speaking Spanish, I think that’s a great idea, and we can all bring out our languages, Melania could come out and speak her five different languages as well. But what Mr. Trump did, he spoke in a language that all Americans can understand. That is English."

I'll be the first to admit my grammar is nowhere perfect, but one would expect that after making such a statement perhaps it would be followed with a well-put and carefully structured sentence, right? Wrong.

"...And that is one good thing that I thought was a great thing, you know, that we saw during the -- I didn’t have to get a translator for anything that was going on at the RNC this week..."

Okay. She made her point that during the RNC one need not a translator. End of sentence, right? Nope. She continued on and threw Dora the Explorer, an innocent bystander, into the argument. 

...and I’m hoping I’m not going to have to kind of start brushing up back on my Dora the Explorer to understand some of the speeches given this week..."

Unfortunately for Scottie Nell Hughes, if she learned Spanish by watching Dora the Explorer, she would still not understand the Spanish words Tim Kaine used in his speech. Well, perhaps she'd be gitty and excited when she heard Tim Kaine say, "familia." 

But I think Samantha Bee on her show Full Frontal reported it best.





Sources:

https://mediamatters.org/video/2016/07/23/cnn-trump-supporter-laments-use-spanish-tim-kaine-s-vp-speech/211852
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC18vz5hUUqxbGvym9ghtX_w


No comments:

Post a Comment