Translate

Tuesday, December 19, 2023

"I Don't See That Happening"

A few years back, my girlfriend and I decided to grab some drinks at Ellis, an open-air eatery and bar. Given the COVID situation, outdoor seating was the norm. On this particular day in Austin, the weather was quite chilly.

To combat the cold, we secured a spot at the outdoor bar beneath a patio heater. My girlfriend nestled comfortably under its warmth, while I, unfortunately, took the seat exposed to the elements, shivering in the cold Austin air.

Feeling the chill, I mustered the courage to ask if she could scoot over a bit and share the warmth. Without hesitation, she replied, "I don't see that happening." Undeterred, I transformed my plea into a more assertive command, "Scoot!"

The whole scenario brought to mind the poignant final scene in Titanic with Jack and Rose and the infamous door. I couldn't help but wonder, had Rose just shifted a bit, could Jack have survived?

By Adam Ellis @adamtots

No comments:

Post a Comment