Translate

Thursday, March 21, 2024

WebMD

Around 15 years back, I found myself covered in hives, clueless about the cause. My immediate resource? The internet, specifically WebMD. After inputting my symptoms, I braced myself for the diagnosis. Contact dermatitis? Drug allergy? Scabies? AIDS?! The mere thought sent shivers down my spine. Despite the fear, I mustered the courage to contact my doctor for an appointment.

At the clinic, I described my situation, fearing the worst. My doctor took his seat, examining me and inspecting a few welts.

"Do you think I have AIDS?" I asked nervously.

"Have you been sexually active?" he inquired.

"Not particularly," I replied.

With a solemn expression, he turned to jot down notes, his scribbles indecipherable to me. My mind raced through possible scenarios, heart pounding.

Turning back to face me, he queried, "What makes you think it's AIDS?"

Confident in my online research, I stated, "WebMD."

He paused, lowered his head, peering at me over his glasses. "You're getting an STD test," he informed me bluntly, before swiftly heading towards the door. Pausing before exiting, he emphasized, "Stay off WebMD." This admonition echoed when he later called with my negative results. And it wouldn't be the last time he warned me about relying on WebMD.


By Adam Ellis @adamtots


No comments:

Post a Comment