Translate

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Michael Jackson - Thriller

Music Appreciation (A Retrospect)

Before I began my Music Appreciation (A Retrospect) Sunday Series, I knew I would discuss how this music video played a role in my young life. 

Everyone in the Rio Grande Valley wanted to be Michael Jackson.  Kids would compete against each other in the school yard on who could do the best moonwalk.  I think I only succeeded once until the cool kid in school out-performed me.

I was either nine or ten years old when I first listened to Michael Jackson's Thriller.  I recall my dad buying the Thriller album, and listening to it from his stereo. I loved The Girl is Mine, Beat It, and Billie Jean, but I avoided Thriller because it sounded scary.  In my defense, I was raised in a fairly Christian home.  Music videos that showed demons and zombies were frowned upon. 

When we finally got MTV, I remember changing the channel when Thriller would show.  I think the first time I watched the 14-minute long Thriller was in my late teens, and after watching the music video, I remember enjoying it and wanting to see it again. 




What is amazing is how this music video continues in popularity becoming somewhat a Halloween tradition--much like It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown-- and other non-traditional settings, such as:




In a Prison


At a University



Performed By Tech Geeks


And Even in Austin.


HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

Sources: Wikipedia


No comments:

Post a Comment