Translate

Monday, February 27, 2012

My mystery photo of a painting solved

Art Appreciation
I was going through my old photos on flickr and found this one, which was taken during a visit to the Chateau De Versailles in 2000. 

Françoise-Athénaïs de Rochechouart, marquise de Montespan, and her children

At first, I thought the painting depicted Marie Antoinette and her children. Seeking confirmation, I Googled searched paintings of Marie Antoinette and her children displayed in Versailles, but came up no results. I then decided to contact the Chateau De Versailles to help me confirm the painting.

It turns out that I was wrong. Way wrong. The painting is not of Marie Antoinette but of Françoise-Athénaïs de Rochechouart, chief mistress to King Louis XIV, and her children (Louis Auguste, Louise-Françoise, Louis-César and Louise Marie Anne ).

Children: Louis-Auguste of Bourbon, Duke of Maine, 1670-1736, Louis-César of Bourbon, Count of Vexin, 1672-1683, Louise-Françoise of Bourbon, Princess of Condé, 1673-1743 and Louise-Marie-Anne of Bourbon, 1674-1681.

No comments:

Post a Comment