Translate

Monday, November 12, 2012

Tears For Fears - Break it Down Again

Music Appreciation

The English New Wave band, Tears for Fears, formed in 1981 by Roland Orzabel and Curt Smith.
The band's fourth album, sans Curt Smith, Elemental, was released on June 7, 1993--Curt Smith had left Tears for Fears soon after The Seeds of Love in 1991.

The first release single from Elemental was Break it Down Again, which became an international hit and reached top 25 in several U.S. Billboard charts.

I was in my early teens when I purchased the compilation album, Tears Roll Down (Greatest Hits 82-92). I was about 17 years old when I purcahsed Elemental. Yes, I was the weird kid in high school who liked new wave music.

Allow me to provide some background. I lived in my own little world of music. I loved all types. I would escape to my room and turn the radio on and listen to alternative, new wave, rock, anything that sounded pleasing. I also found myself writing poetry and lyrics. I wrote about life and love. 

Lyrics such as "It's my own design, it's my own remorse, help me to decide, help me make the most of freedom and of pleasure, nothing ever last forever." or "I spy tears in their eyes, They look to the skies for some kind of divine intervention, Food goes to waste, so nice to eat, so nice to taste..." was captivating to me as a teen.

So, it's no doubt Roland Orzabel's intellectual lyrics in Elemental was welcoming to me with lyrics such as "'no sleep for dreaming' says the architects of life, Big bouncing babies, bread and butter can I have a slice, They make no mention of the beauty of decay, Blue, yellow, pink umbrella save it for a rainy day."




Source: Wikipedia

1 comment: