Translate

Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Biscuits and Gravy... a lot of gravy

This past weekend, I got grossed out with my girlfriend. 

We were in San Antonio. Her friend invited us to her daughter's 16th birthday celebration. Needless to say, we had a blast, and my girlfriend had a few too many wine.

We woke up Sunday morning, and slowly made our way out of the hotel. After packing our stuff in the car, we walked over to Schilo's.

Schilo's is said to be San Antonio's oldest restaurant. I've visited this place a couple of times in the past and remember their killer breakfasts and tacos. 

Since my girlfriend loves tacos, I thought this place would be perfect. 

After waiting 30 minutes for a table outside, we waited another 10 minutes to finally get the attention of the waitress--granted, there is a pandemic and the restaurant may be short-staffed. 

My girlfriend ordered Chicken and Biscuits, with side orders of grilled peppers and tomatoes and hashbrowns. I ordered two tacos. 

At first, I was surprised with what she ordered but then realized she was probably working out a hangover. 

They brought over our food fairly quickly; although, they did forget the side order of hashbrowns. 

Before her was a plate of a decent sized fried chicken breast and two biscuits. Sausage creamy gravy was served on the side in a small bowl. In another side bowl was grilled peppers and tomatoes. 

She poured the gravy over her food and began to eat. 

At this point, I'm getting grossed out. 

I have nothing against fried chicken and creamy gravy. In fact, I've had that a couple of times in the past. I think what got me was watching her pour gravy over her plate and watching her devour her meal with gusto.

When the waitress came by, she asked for her side of hashbrowns. Oh, and she asked for another bowl of gravy. ANOTHER BOWL. 

Both were brought to her and she quickly moved the hashbrowns from the small plate onto her main plate and then pours the other bowl of creamy gravy over everything. 

She ate everything. Nothing was left on the plate. 

This is probably a testament that Schilo's serves delicious chicken and biscuits. For me it's different. A realization. An epiphany.  


No comments:

Post a Comment