Translate

Thursday, July 27, 2023

Hooking Up

Back in August 1994, when I was just 18 years old, I stumbled upon a cartoon in the pages of PLAYBOY that left a lasting impression on me. In that moment, I saw myself as the romantic depicted in the cartoon, holding flowers like a caveman, valuing genuine connections and meaningful courtship. On the other hand, I couldn't help but disdain the players who seemed to have "weekend girlfriends" or changed partners as frequently as the "flavor of the week." To me, dating and courtship were about more than just casual hookups; they were about building something deeper and more substantial.

However, as time raced forward, now three decades later, I find myself looking at things from a different perspective. The dating landscape seems to have evolved, and the norm appears to be "hook up first" to test the waters and then see if there's any chemistry worth pursuing further. It's intriguing how societal norms and attitudes can shift over time, shaping our perspectives and altering our views on matters as personal as relationships and romance.

Bill Woodman, PLAYBOY (August 1994)

 


No comments:

Post a Comment