Translate

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Bell Biv DeVoe - Poison

Music Appreciation (A Retrospect)

To be honest, I was going to blog about BBD's "Do Me," but I remembered my mother-in-law reads my entries.

Bell Biv DeVoe. They were the kids from New Edition--a teen R&B group that climbed the charts in the early 80's with Candy Girl and Cool it Now.

After Bobby Brown's departure from New Edition, the remaining group members (Michael Bivins, Ricky Bell, Ronnie DeVoe, Ralph Tresvant, and Johnny Gill) began new projects and solo careers.

Michael Bivins, Ricky Bell, and Ronnie DeVoe formed Bell Biv Devoe and introduced their sound with their first album, Poison. Their title track, Poison, hit number one in the Billboard's R&B/HipHop chart.

They probably didn't introduce hip hop urban wear, but they sure did make it cool. I recall asking my mom to buy me timberland boots to go with my over sized hooded long sleeve shirt. Although I digged Bivins I found myself dressing like Bell. Of course, I was short and stumpy when I was young and couldn't get away with emulating Bivins or DeVoe.

As a freshman in high school, what did this song mean to me? The only think I could think of is "Never trust a big butt and a smile." Yes, embarrassingly enough, I actually wrote that on someone's yearbook. If anyone finds it, it's gonna be both a whole lot of money one day (wink).


Source: wikipedia.

Vist my blog at http://photographywritingandmore.blogspot.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment