Translate

Saturday, August 29, 2026

Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus

Music Appreciation

Listening to Depeche Mode’s Violator album through my headset one afternoon, I blurted out to my office mate, “This is the best album ever made.” He raised an eyebrow. “Ever? Better than Abbey Road?” I paused, laughed, and walked it back slightly—“Okay, one of the best.” But I meant it. That album still hits like nothing else.

I first heard Depeche Mode at my grade school best friend’s house. He had a boombox that could load two cassette tapes—one to play, one to record. We’d dub albums for each other, and one day I left with a copy of Violator. It was like taking home a secret code to cool. That tape wore out from overuse, but the music never got old.

Depeche Mode, the English electronic band formed in 1980 in Basildon, Essex, originally featured Dave Gahan, Martin Gore, Andy Fletcher, and Vince Clarke. After Clarke left, Alan Wilder joined and helped shape their darker, more layered sound. With over 100 million records sold and a 2020 induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, their influence on modern music is undeniable. The band’s name, borrowed from a French fashion magazine, means “fashion dispatch.”

Personal Jesus,” released in August 1989 as the lead single from Violator, was a creative pivot for the band. Martin Gore penned the lyrics after reading Elvis and Me by Priscilla Presley, exploring the concept of someone being your personal savior. The song blends bluesy guitar with synth textures and brooding vocals. 

Its video—Depeche Mode’s first in color—was directed by Anton Corbijn and shot in the Tabernas Desert of Spain. Since then, the song’s legacy has only grown, covered by artists from Johnny Cash to Marilyn Manson, and earning a place on Rolling Stone’s list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

Sources:

Wikipedia

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6683764/

https://cadenaser.com/baleares/2024/11/01/es-solo-musica-pero-nos-gusta-con-julio-molina-depeche-mode-radio-mallorca

https://blurredculture.com/exploring-depeche-modes-legacy-in-la-reflections-from-the-memento-mori-world-tour

https://realvj.com/2013/01/31/depeche-mode-personal-jesus-1989

https://www.radiox.co.uk/artists/depeche-mode/meaning-personal-jesus-depeche-mode/

https://www.reddit.com/r/depechemode/comments/1goerz1/personal_jesus_meaning/

https://www.gigwise.com/the-enduring-legacy-of-depeche-mode-style-in-music-history/