Translate

Thursday, September 30, 2021

Anthony Green

 

English realist painter and printmaker Anthony Green RA was best known for the narrative paintings that portray domestic life in compound perspectives and polygonal forms. 

Green was born on September 30, 1939 in Luton, Bedfordshire. He was taught by Welsh landscape painter Kyffin Williams and the Slade School of Art. 

In a seminar series in 2013, he mentioned the struggle to fit in as a "European artist" at the Slade School, "...I'm a half-French. I cut my teeth not in English art, which I thought was a kind of off-shore paled shadow of continental art, but in fact the proper art was found in Paris. As a school boy, I knew the Louvre better than the National Gallery... when I came home from my relatives in France, I was into French art. I considered to be a good European artist."

After spending some time in the United States, Green was elected a full Member of the Royal Academy in 1971. Green was sought out for exhibitions internationally. His pictorial sculpture titled Resurrection toured UK cathedrals in 2000. 

Resurrection (2000)

Springtime in Lissenden Gardens, London (1939)

The Chinese Lantern (1974)

Source: https://www.royalacademy.org.uk/art-artists/name/anthony-green-ra


No comments:

Post a Comment